Incorporating something new into your diet can be a challenge. Many of us are creatures of habit, particularly when it comes to what we eat, which can mean eating the same meals week after week. Whilst this is convenient, it’s not the best thing we can do for our gut. Meal planning can help with budgeting, time management and shopping lists, but how often do we think about our health when we’re deciding what to eat for the week? More specifically, do we think about our gut health?
Adding fermented food and drink to your diet is a great way to look after your gut. The health benefits are endless. During the fermentation process, bacteria and yeast are present. They contain enzymes which enable fermentation. These yeasts and bacteria occur either naturally or with the use of a starter culture (for example, SCOBY in water kefir) and are referred to as probiotic. To be considered as probiotic by the World Health Organisation, they must be defined as “live microorganisms which, when administered in adequate amounts, confer a health benefit on the host”. The following are just some of the many ways in which probiotics benefit the body through their effect on the gut.
· Produce natural antibiotics, lactic acid, butyric acid and acetic acid.
· Suppress growth of pathogenic and putrefactive (harmful) bacteria.
· Increase resistance against infections.
· Manufacture B vitamins, vitamin K and biotin amongst others.
· Assist in alleviating depression and anxiety in conjunction with a healthy balanced diet.
· Dramatic reduction in inflammation related to conditions such as Crohn’s Disease, gastritis, and pouchitis .
Whether you have an inflammatory illness, suffer with depression, lack of energy or simply want to improve your overall health, there’s nothing to lose in giving fermented foods a try. At Fermented by LAB, we’ve carefully prepared your fermented goodies for you - your subscription box has everything you need! Here are some ideas to help you work them in to a busy lifestyle;
· Drink Kefir/Kvass at breakfast time - Grabbing a bottle from the fridge is quick and easy, and great when you’re on the go. Refreshing and delicious, it’s the perfect start to your day.
· Add Kraut to your lunch-Whether you prepare your lunch in advance or buy it at work, add a portion of kraut or pickles. It goes beautifully with salmon, roasted vegetables, chicken, cheese, salad, ham…need I go on?
· Replace existing Condiments/Pickles with fermented ones - we found our Summer Box Salsa was a big hit with subscribers. Great with roast chicken, as a dip for vegetable crudités and corn tortilla chips or as an ingredient in fajitas, it provides incredible flavour which is good for you! Don’t forget that you can use Kraut in recipes too. Try stirring into bolognese, chilli or stir fry just before serving and add a new edge to your favourite dishes.
· Have fun with it - experiment with your ferments and open your palate to new tastes. Don’t forget to share your recipes with us, we love hearing about how you’re enjoying your LAB boxes.
If you enjoyed this article and want to have a say in what we post next, please let us know!
Happy eating! Lauren. x